Sunday, April 20, 2008

Heaven Help the Space Program

We did a project at school the other day that involved the kids making paper dolls of themselves depicting who or what they will be in 20 years. I asked them the write their names and occupations on the back of the dolls before turing them in, so that I could write that information on a tag that I would tape next to the dolls when I hung them out in the hall. As always, some kids don't listen or follow directions very well, and inevitably E was one of those kids.

Me: (holding up the doll for E to see) E, I can't tell what your doll is, and you didn't write it on the back. What are you planning on being in 20 years?
E: Well, I don't know what they call it, but when I grow up I want to be the first person to walk on Saturn's rings. But, if that's too much for you to write, Miss Martin, you can just go with astronaut.
Me: Umm, yeah. I'm just going with astronaut.

The things this kid comes up with astounds me. You may remember his theory on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. being assassinated with a light saber. This kid is either going to be the next Einstein or the next Unabomber.

7 comments:

Holly Child said...

Is this the same kid that spilled the water that day?! ;o)

April said...

lol What a kid!

Heather said...

Holly, yes. Yes, it is.

Regina said...

Oooh that kid! He probably isn't even REALLY gifted!

Hey, don't forget we're having people over on Saturday...I don't want to hear you were sitting at home alone petting your cat with nothing to do!

Betty Grace said...

that is funny. You have good work stories. Mine pretty much go like this- walk in my office, sit at a computer, eat lunch, sit at a computer a while longer, go home. :)

Freer Family said...

Oh, that's funny. What a creative (albeit strange) little mind.

Helena said...

ROFL! (Tell him he'd fall through!)